Monday, September 13, 2010

Adventures in Cloth Diapering v.1

I've been cloth diapering for over a year now and still have dilemmas sometimes. Since I didn't start cloth with Gehrig until he was one, I'm experiencing diapering a newborn for the first time with Logan. From the time we started cloth with Gehrig until he was potty trained, he didn't have one diaper rash. So when Logan's "wet zone" became red and sometimes flaky, I wasn't sure what to do. I do know that you're not supposed to use regular diaper creams (like Desitin or vaseline) with cloth because they can make the diaper repel (not absorb liquid).
I'm pretty sure the rash is just really dry skin so I tried putting Aquaphor on it and putting a liner in Logan's diaper (an awesome Thirsties AIO I got in a trade on diaperswappers), but as soon as he peed, it all leaked straight out. So I learned not to do that again.
I asked a few of my Junebug mama friends on diaperswappers what they thought I should do since I don't have any cloth-safe diaper cream. They had some great suggestions, and one awesome mama messaged me and told me she'd like to send me a tube of CJ's BUTTer as a gift! I'm so happy because I really thought I'd have to spend some money on disposables--which I hate to do since we're trying really hard to get all our debt paid off.
So after talking to the other mamas, I'm pretty sure the rash is dry skin/eczema from using PUL covers when it's really hot. Logan tends to scream and squirm in his carseat, and the car I have to use while Mike's at work doesn't have air conditioning so I think that's what our problem is. Hopefully now that it's cooling down we won't have that trouble. In the meantime, I've been putting prefolds and MotherEase Onesize fitteds (also a gift from an awesome diaperswappers mama) without a cover on him when we're home during the day. And I'm looking forward to my CJ's BUTTer to help clear it up completely!
Stay tuned for further adventures...

Until...
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment