Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Terrible Twos

We are in the midst of them, and I am about to lose my mind. I told Mike that I'm ready to go get a job because that would certainly be easier than spending all day with my little terror. I love Gehrig more than life, but the kid has worn me out. He wakes up at 6:30, refuses to take a nap, and is horrible by the evening. He whines about everything and throws fits if he doesn't get his way. I know that's mostly because he's just so exhausted, but I don't know what to do about it. I can't force the kid to sleep. I get maybe two hours of respite by myself at night before I fall asleep from exhaustion, but usually either Gehrig or Logan wakes a couple times during those two hours.
All I want is a little time to myself without listening to whining or crying. But then I read blogs and forums where moms are gushing about how much they love being mommies and spending all day with their toddlers; how they can't get enough of them. And I feel guilty. I must be a horrible mommy to want to just get away from my kid. How come I don't want to spend every waking moment with him? Am I doing something wrong?
I've come to the conclusion that I must not be alone. I know there are other moms out there who feel the same way, and I think some of them might be the ones gushing about spending time with their kids. So if you're with me on this, please comment and let me know! Also if you've been through the terrible twos and have some tips, please share. I'm at my wit's end. :-/

Until...
Liz

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my, you are definitely NOT alone! We all are like that for sure! I read blogs too where you would think that some people's kids never do anything wrong! But don't be fooled. I think some people just don't like to "tell the world" about how their kids sometimes drive them crazy! I have had many, many days where I just want to scream and run away down the street (which I actually did go out for a walk one time by myself, and it did wonders - oh, and no, I didn't leave the kids alone. Daddy was home.) Don't get discouraged. You are not alone and you WILL get through it.

    One thing I have learned (and am still learning since I am now going through the "twos" with my second child) is that this is the time for sure where kids need consistency - in routine and discipline, as well as something to do. Sometimes my kids are acting out because they are simply bored. Go for a walk, go to the park, have a special game that they only play a couple times a week, bring out the play-doh (this really works with my kids because it is a special treat). Maybe just a change of scenery will help a little! But, when they do act out, be sure you are consistent in however you discipline them. Sometimes they may just be testing to see how far they can go until Mommy cracks! :-)

    Just some thoughts that I have learned...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Emily, it's good to know I'm not alone! We actually ended up having a good afternoon yesterday since he got a nap. Of course when I was at my absolute wit's end, things got better. :) Now I just hope I can get him to keep taking a nap! The normal stinkerness is tolerable, it's just the constant whining and throwing of tantrums (something he DEFINITELY gets in trouble for) that drives me insane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been there. Which is why Son gives me a day out every now and then and I go get a cup of coffee and read, or something. And he usually gives me one night a year off, on my birthday. I get to go stay at a hotel by myself and get some sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete